Monday, August 9, 2010

Menu for the week (edited with recipes)

If you need some ideas:

Monday - Chicken Enchiladas and salad
Tuesday - Fettucine Alfredo, french bread and zucchini
Wednesday - Hot dogs, pasta salad, corn on the cob
Thursday - Orange chicken and rice
Friday - Taco Bar
Saturday - Grilled chicken, rolls and steamed veggies
Sunday - Lasagna, broccoli and caesar salad

Other ideas: Baked Potatoes, BBQ Chicken chipotle salad, homemade pizza

I really need to start taking pictures and posting recipes, but that just seems like so much more time and effort :) Feel free to leave your menus as a comment so I have ideas for next week!

EDITED:

To respond to the comments, Megan here is the alfredo sauce recipe (I really like it and it's easy). Also, thanks for your menu ideas! Don't be surprised if they show up on my menu next week, haha.

1/2 c. butter
1 pkg. cream cheese
2 t. garlic powder
2 c. milk
6 ounces grated parmesan cheese
1/8 t. pepper

(I half this recipe for just Josh and me and it's plenty)

Melt butter (medium heat), add cream cheese and garlic powder. Stir with whisk. Add milk slowly. Whisk. Stir in parmesan cheese and pepper. Take it off the heat. Letting it sit will help it thicken. If it's too thick you can thin it with milk.

Christina, here is my enchilada recipe:

1 cup sour cream
1 can of cream of chicken soup or cream of mushroom will work (I use cream of chicken)
1-2 chicken breasts (I just use one)
olives or green chiles if you want
about 1 cup of cheese (I just throw in a handful)
Tortillas (I use 4 with an 8x8 pan)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook your chicken, then mix with the other ingredients in a bowl. Fill up the enchiladas and leave about 1/3 of the mixture out and put the rest on top of the tortillas. Cook for 10 minutes, then take out of the oven and put a layer of cheese on top of the enchiladas. Cook another 15-20 minutes until cheese is melted.

Or you can just use a can of red or green sauce :)

Also, as far as the veggies goes, I'm still trying to find something good. I usually just use olive oil or butter and salt/pepper, but I'm not thrilled by it. With asparagus (which I used to hate, but now love), I just cook on the stove with melted butter and then melt shredded parmesan cheese on top and it's delish! I guess I could try that with the other veggies too. Ideas anyone? Also, as far as my menu goes, I put an idea on a certain day, but I hardly stick to that. If it doesn't sound good, I pick something from a different day, but at least having a menu, means I have the ingredients for seven meals. We usually eat out once a week as well, but I still pick 7 things, just so I have plenty of ideas.

3 comments:

Megan said...

ok, so you have to post the recipe for the alfredo sauce! I tried "olive garden's" recipe from their site the other day and was disappointed, I need a good one! This week we're having pulled bbq chicken sandwiches, spaghetti, meatloaf, and enchiladas, I still need to come up with a few more items.

Christina and Ryan said...

You are awesome for thinking of a menu! I tried doing a menu several times but we end up not wanting the food the day I am supposed to make it and everything gets thrown off. Can you send me your recipe for chicken enchiladas? How do you season your veggies?

Beck Fam said...

first of all...i can't believe you work full time and cook a full meal every night. impressive. second of all, i highly recomend adding lemon to the asparagus/butter/parmesean combo. cooking them in lemon is delish!!