Thursday, May 6, 2010

Olive Garden

I would probably say that Olive Garden is near the top of my "favorite restaurants" list. It could be because my absolute favorite food is ravioli. So, on Monday Josh and I went there for dinner. We sit down and are greeted by our server who goes by the name "Odd." It's on his name tag and everything. He introduces himself as the primary server and proceeds to tell us who the secondary and back up servers are (like we'll remember their names or something).

He's a little bit eccentric, older and obnoxious. Here's where the story starts. He asks our order and I tell him what I want. The same meal I order EVERY time I go there, without fail. Cheese Ravioli with 1/2 marinara and 1/2 alfredo sauce. I have probably eaten this about 50 times in my life. Then Odd says, "Ok, but that will cost extra." And I said, "What? Really? Is that new?" And he says, "It's never changed and I've been here for 25 years." So, I said, "Well, this is the only thing I ever order and I've never been charged extra for that." Then he goes, "Well then all of the servers who have helped you before have probably been fired." (Uh, doubt that).

I didn't make a big deal about it and I ordered it anyways even though I was totally bugged. He seriously pissed me off for some reason (I think it was his attitude), but we looked it up and Olive Garden started 27 years ago, so either he's lying (most likely) or the poor guy has been waiting tables for 25 years. Well, I calmed down because I realized I would just lower his tip by the amount of the charge, so whatever.

There were other things about his service that was really annoying too, but I won't go on too much about it :) So, the check comes and there is a note in there saying, "Have an 'Oddrific' Day!" Oh puhlease.

So, the next day at work I was telling my friend about this and he said sometimes if you file a complaint they will give you like a coupon or something. I figured I'd try and I was actually very polite in the response I sent (online) and just said how he could have handled it a little differently. It wasn't the fact that I had to pay but that he was trying to prove me wrong or something.

I got a response back today, apologizing for what happened and they said they would be sending me a gift certificate in the mail :) Can you believe that!!! Who knows, it'll probably be just like $5, but still! I was very pleased. So, if you ever have a problem with a restaurant and don't mind complaining, you might get something free out of it!

6 comments:

Katie May said...

Uh, I hate those type of servers. It ruins my experience for me.

One time while eating ice cream at home, Clay found a screw in his bowl and nearly chipped his tooth! So we wrote Dryer's and they apologized and said that they'd send a "gift". It came and was a "free" 1/2 gallon of ice cream coupon and 30% off coupon for a buy one get one free. Um, seriously????? Owell, free ice cream, I guess. (riles me up just thinkin' about it again!)

Lindsey H said...

Hey! So I feel silly commenting since we haven't talked in forever but if you're interested, I can shed a little light on the subject since I worked at the Provo OG for 2 years to put me through the good ol' BYU. "Odd" sounds obnoxious in his presentation like you mentioned so he could have done things a lot better...unfortunately, so could have all the servers before him in mentioning the extra charge and not "sneaking it in." The company policy is actually to charge extra for any alfredo when it doesn't already come on a dish. (Don't get me wrong, this bugged me big time because they say it costs a lot more than marinara even though, come on billion dollar business, it can't hurt OG THAT much.) A lot of servers, including myself, would sneak things depending on which managers were on staff that day. Some didn't care where others actually did come down so hard on you that one guy that I know was indeed fired for slipping his friend a free dipping sauce. (lame manager) K, I'll quit saying things you probably don't want to hear. lol Good for you for reporting though and yay for free things. :)

Christina and Ryan said...

I am proud of you Tiff. I know what you mean about his attitude bothering you more than what he was saying. One time at Applebees I got a salad and asked for the dressing on the side. I got my salad and it was covered in dressing. I nicely pointed out that I asked for it on the side and the waiter said "oh, I thought you meant you wanted it on the side in ADDITION to on the salad. you didn't say you wanted it separately" trying to blame it on me. And he didn't bring it on the side anyway so he was just lying. Then he spent 20 minutes getting me my replacement salad even though I wasn't rude or anything. I guess I should have called and complained about Erik (yes I remember his name).

Mandy Coffey said...

those types of servers (or any type employee with attitude like that) ALWAYS ruins the experience for me. I'll email you about the time i went to motherhood maternity.

You gotta let us know how much the gift certificate ends up being! And next time you go, ask to NOT be served by Odd... maybe if enough people start saying that they'll get the idea of what kind of person he is.


Did you leave a tip? i totally wouldn't have.

Amy and Tyson said...

Ok, I am trying this. We had a horrible server at chili's the other day so I have the opportunity!!

Megan said...

What a huge nerd! I would have been so annoyed! Way to go on your gift certificate! Makes me want to complain more! :)