Thursday, October 21, 2010

Happy 2 Weeks!



Here we are ... parents for two weeks now. I can't even tell you how I feel. There are so many emotions after you have a baby that there's no way you can ever be prepared :) The first week was hard. I knew it wouldn't be easy, but it was much different than I expected. I knew I would be exhausted, I knew I would worry about a lot of things, but I didn't know I would cry for no reason, or that I would get up to check on Dane any time I heard him make a weird noise to make sure he was still breathing. Before he came, I thought he'd sleep so much that I'd have time to do other things... no way. There's not time, haha. But obviously I would not change it for the world.

Dane is the sweetest, most precious little boy in the whole wide world. If I could I would just snuggle him all day. We love him so much. I thought I would be overwhelmed by emotion and love the minute he was born, but I didn't and I felt guilty that I didn't. Everyone always said that you feel a love you've never felt before when you see them for the first time, so I was expecting that. When it didn't happen, I cried and thought I wasn't a good mom.... but after 2 weeks I have that love that everyone was talking about. It just didn't come all at once like it does for others. 

I can't believe what a good baby he already is though. He really only cries when he needs to be changed or needs to eat. There have been a couple times that he has cried and we didn't know why, but I think he was a little gassy. He usually just falls asleep or wakes up content. He will just sit in our lap and look around. Last night, we got a couple of 3 hour stretches of sleep....so nice. :) He's so alert and he's been picking up his head since like day 2 or 3. It's crazy. Even the pediatrician was amazed. He told us that Dane is progressing really well. He is using his hands and grabbing everything and the dr. said they usually don't start doing that until around 2 months. Dane has gained more than his birth weight back and is actually tall for his age (about the 70th percentile). 
We have also had the help of soooo many people and we are so lucky. Especially from my mom and Josh's mom. To everyone else... thank you!

We got his newborn pictures done and I have added some of our favorites:





As you can tell he loves to stick his tongue out ALL the time... I just think it's absolutely adorable.

17 comments:

Dana and Chase said...

he is beautiful tiff! i can not believe ur a mommy.. i love it :) those pictures are just too great!

Scott+Kimber+Ruby=Scimby said...

You know, I didn't feel that overwhelming feeling of love either, and I felt guilty about it too...but I read in "what to expect..." that its totally normal. I did cry when Ruby first came out, I was overwhelmed with a crazy amount of emotion, but after things calmed down, I didn't feel what I thought I was supposed to feel. Well once that feeling of overwhelming love starts, it just keeps growing and growing until you feel like you couldn't possibly love your baby anymore! Babies are just the most miraculous little creations...thinking about how Ruby grew from practically nothing in my belly and then came out as a whole baby just boggles my mind! And that she was JUST in Heaven....its crazy stuff!!!
Well, Dane is such a beautiful boy, I can't wait to come and see him!

Unknown said...

It sounds like you are adjusting to mother just fine. I remember how hard those first weeks are and it will continue to be a roller coaster, but it's so awesome.

Dane is just so dang cute! I love the tongue pictures! You can tell he already has so much personality! That's pretty good for 2 weeks. :)

Mandy Coffey said...

I didn't feel that instant overwhelming love either! I remember only feeling completely distant in fact! When she first came out the swept her away right away because her heart rate stopped during pushing. I didn't see her for 30 minutes and when they brought her to us, my parents and spencer and leslie were already in the room so Jonathan and them held her before i did! The nurse kicked everyone out and handed Jo to me and i wanted to just cry, i felt nothing and that feeling brought on the feeling of guilty. I asked them to bring everyone back in the room to enjoy Jo while i couldn't. Weird weird weird feeling. Overwhelming love didn't come until day 4 when i found a bloody diaper and was terrified something was seriously wrong with my baby. The fear of losing her snapped my feelings into place. I'm sad it even took THAT to do it.

Me and My Boys said...

Congratulations!!! He is adorable! I love the pictures, way to do them right away.

AdamAndMelaine said...

Tiff, I can totally relate about the not feeling this overwhelming love at first sight. It took me several weeks with each of my kids to feel that way. But it always comes. Youre such a fantastic mom and Dane is a little stud!

Brent and Anne said...

He is so precious! I love the pics! He's the perfect mix of you two, so cute!

Mandy said...

yeah it's very rare to feel instant adoration for your baby. I think it comes on stronger once you start seeing their cute little personalities! :D

Brittany said...

he is so cute! and i love his dark hair

Megan said...

aw... He.is.so.CUTE!!! I can barely stand it! It's so fun to hear about all your "mommy" experiences! I had the whole "break down and cry for no reason" after I had Kate, hormones are weird!

The Griffins said...

Hey Tiff, I went through that too and I told BJ about it in the hospital and he said that he heard it's like that for a lot of women. We don't realize how much our love grows for the babies while they're in our belly and so when we see them we feel that love but don't recognize it. Also, if you look at your post from before you had Dane you'll realize it's true. Of course, the more we care for them the more our love grows.
I can't wait for you to visit Steph and Rob and the kids and then I can meet Dane! :)

BL said...

what a great post, loved it. It totally reminded me of all the nights I would cry and not know why after celah was born. Oh, and I know that everyone has said this, but I didnt feel love at first sight either. but, honestly i dont know how someone COULD feel 100% love for someone without even knowing them. I think that is more weird. maybe moms just say they do to look cool or something... haha?!?! glad you guys are doing so well with your little cutie

S said...

Cute pics Tif! Don't worry, all us new moms feel like we do something wrong. You aren't. You just want to be the best mommy you can for Dane.

Unknown said...

He is such a cutie pie!! Enjoy every moment!! I look at my 4 year old now and am amazed at where the time has gone. And, I also cry for no reason when I look at our Olivia. Last time when our son was born, I cried every day for 3 months, so don't feel bad. Keep the pictures coming!! ~PhillyBaby

ALLY said...

Even though I can't relate to your post I know it will be nice to remember when I have kids. I'm so happy your doing well and I love love love the pictures of Dane! I can't wait to hold him again and see you too :)

Chelsea said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! What a cute guy. I didn't immediately feel a connection with Elijah either, but like you with time of course that love is so amazing and it just keeps growing with the days and weeks. You guys are great!

Meghan said...

He's adorable! Love all of the newborn pictures. I agree - those first few (or several!) are HARD! You think you're prepared, but it comes as a shock anyways. At least for me :) But, it's true. You love them so much!!!