Monday, October 11, 2010

Dane Joshua Austin

My last post said 10 days left... when in fact, I went into labor that night. Now that I have a little time, I want to share the birth story and pictures of the cutest little boy. Our little miracle baby.

Dane Joshua Austin
Born October 7, 2010 at 4:09 a.m.
7 lbs 3.5 oz and 20 inches long

On Wednesday, Oct 6, I had a dr. appt. I went in at 3pm and the dr. checked and I was still the same as the week before: 1.5 cm dilated and 80% effaced. I was kind of bummed because I thought I would have made a little more progress, but hadn't. At the appt. the week before the dr. also stripped my membranes and of course nothing came of that. So, at this appt. he asked again if I wanted to have them stripped just to see if my body was ready. I said yes, might as well. He did that and then told me that he felt my bag of waters bulging and he wouldn't be surprised if my water broker naturally instead of having them do it at the hospital. I thought, ok fine, but didn't think anything of it, because nothing happened last time.

After the dr, I came home and made some dinner. Josh came home from work around 5:30 and we were just about to eat. I walked into the bathroom and all of a sudden I felt a huge gush of water. I go, "Ummmm, Josh... I think my water just broke" He comes in and I started freaking out realizing this was going to happen. We were both soooo excited! Unfortunately, there was no time to eat dinner, so we finished getting everything together and headed to the hospital. Here is the picture of us on our way out:



My water broke at 6:30 and we headed to the hospital at 7:30.  I was dilated to 3cm and was 100% effaced once we got there. The contractions really didn't start until after I got to the hospital. Around 8:00 they started getting quite painful. I knew I wanted an epidural, but decided to wait a little bit until the contractions were pretty hard until I got it. Mainly because I was scared of the needle, lol. Little did I know, it hardly hurt and from there on out was easy peasy.  Before the epidural:




I got the epidural around 9:45 and at that point I was 5cm and progressing pretty well. I was nervous the epidural would slow things down and I would need Pitocin, but luckily that wasn't the case and I never needed any.  By 2:45am I was fully dilated and ready to push. At that point it was just me, Josh and the nurse (who was amazing by the way). It was the most amazing experience and Josh was the best coach ever. After about an hour of pushing, they called the dr. and told me to stop pushing until he got there. In the middle of pushing:


Once the doctor got there, I pushed four times and Dane's head was out. Then the rest of his body just came right out and there he was, crying away! He had a little bit of a cone head, but was completely perfect and healthy. What an incredible experience to see our beautiful little son the first time. I did have a small episiotomy, so I had to get stitched up, but then we got to hold our sweet baby and we just had immediate love for him. Dane did have a small breathing issue for the first 30 min, just that he was breathing to fast, so we had to wait to feed him until his breathing slowed down. He didn't need any oxygen or anything, and he was fine within 30 min and hasn't had any issues since. He was also not a crier at all. He only cried when he first came out, but that's really it. Here are some more pictures on his first day of life:








Just about to go home. We had to supplement with formula a couple of days because he lost 9% of his birth weight before we left. He was 6 lbs 9 oz when we left. But we stopped that yesterday.

 Everything we came home with... lots of stuff

 Getting him all set up in his car seat and his first little outfit




 Grandma holding sweet baby Dane:
 He always holds his pacifier his is mouth... so darn cute.


26 comments:

Unknown said...

1st of all congrats!!!

2nd- How do you looking so good during labor and even in the middle of pushing!

He is so cute! And you are going to be an amazing momma!

Brittany said...

congrats, tiff, he's beautiful!

ALLY said...

I'm so happy for you, and happy everything is going so well!! He just keeps getting cutter and cutter even though I didn't think that was possible!
Congrats again Mommy :)
P.S. I can't wait to hold him again

Becca said...

Yaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy! I love that little nugget! Love you guys!

Kirby said...

Too cute!!! He is seriously precious, such a pretty baby. It makes me excited for our little guy. It is gradually starting to feel more real but I'm sure it is just going to come up on us before I know it! Congratulations, enjoy that sweet little boy!!

Me and My Boys said...

YEAAAAA!!! So glad everything went well, and that he is safe, healthy, and at home with you guys! What a cutie, Love the hair!

Dana and Chase said...

tiff I am so happy for you! He is such a adorable little boy! I love his hair. your going to be a great mom :)

Selma said...

Congats Tiffany! He is adorable! So glad your labor went so well and that little Dane is healthy! Can't wait to see more pics!

mckenna said...

He is absolutely beautiful!! Just perfect. Congratulations!! Hope you're getting "enough" rest :) and just enjoying these first days and weeks!!

Chelsea said...

Congrats! He is too cute and I am just so happy for you!

S said...

Congrats Tiffany! I've been checking everyday for the news. You look too good during labor! I can't believe you took that pic in between pushes! I love your birth story. I wanted mine to be that calm but we had a few hiccups. I'll try to post mine asap. He's so adorable and I know you guys are having as great a time as us! Isn't it awesome!

Jylare Smith said...

Oh yay! So happy for you. He is precious and oh, so little. Congrats. :)

KellySummer said...

cutie! also...you look way to cute to have just gone through all that. there was no way i was posting pictures immediately after ollie's birth. good luck on the nursing and getting some sleep!! i'm sure he'll be a pro in no time...

Megan said...

oh, what a great story! I'm so glad he's here and you are all doing good! Seriously, he's so stinkin' adorable, I just can't stand it! I wish I was there and I could just snuggle that cute little bug! Love the picture of him in your Mommy's arms, he looks so cute!
P.S. I agree with Brenda, you look amazing, even during labor!!!

JEREMY AND SARAHLYNN said...

AHHH! Congratulations!! I am so glad delivery went well and you are home now! I know you are already an amazing mom! So happy for you!!

Walker Family said...

Wow he is seriously adorable! Congrats!

Kinzie Sue said...

CONGRATS!! He is so darling with such a sweet little face! We are so happy for you and this wonderful addition to your family! Way to go!

Meghan said...

Congratulations!!! He is so cute - love all the dark hair! I'm so glad things went so well and that he is home and healthy! And, you seriously look so great!

Holly said...

Congrats!!! So exciting! I can't wait to see my three little girls in a few months and go through the whole birthing process!

You look great! Take care!

Annie and Berkeley said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! We have been anxiously waiting for this post and to finally see pictures of your little man. He is absolutely precious. A perfect little baby boy! Life truly will begin again for you guys right now and you won't even be able to imagine how you lived without his sweet little spirit in your home before. Congrats agin. You guys will be great parents.

Richelle said...

tiff! i am so happy for you! he is so adorable. and good job posting a blog so quickly, you're awesome.

Marshall and Jennifer said...

We love him, love him, LOVE him!

The McGraths said...

Congrats, thanks for sharing! I'm so exciting for you two; you're going to be amazing parents. Keep us posted ;)

Annalee said...

How adorable is he? I'm so happy for you and Josh--you two are gong to be the BEST mommy and daddy. It was fun to see you a few weeks ago. Enjoy your new little one. Love you.

sarawhat said...

YAY!!! He's gorgeous and I'm so happy for you guys!! Talk about LOOKIN GOOD while you're pushing out a baby!! Hot mama!

JoJo said...

Seriously, you are so gorgeous, even during during and after labor! No fair! :) But Dane is sooo adorable. Congratulations!