Saturday, July 31, 2010

My day in labor and delivery

So, Thursday night I had kind of a rough night because I was having a sharp pain in my right side and pain in my right shoulder. I thought it was just normal pregnancy stuff and didn't think anything of it. Then at work on Friday morning it was getting a lot more painful. I called my nurse and she told me to go to the ER just to check on things like my gallbladder, liver, kidneys, etc. I was feeling the baby kick all morning so I knew he was doing ok. So, I left work at about 9 and headed to the hospital. Crying on the way there because it hurt so bad.

I got to the ER and since I'm 29 weeks along, they sent me straight to labor and delivery so they can monitor the baby the whole time. I was having Braxton Hicks while I was there (contractions that aren't painful, kind of like practice contractions and many people get them) They checked for a UTI (the catheter hurt like a B), which was negative and since I didn't have a fever they ruled out a kidney infection. Then they took me for an ultrasound to look at the other organs, which are all up under my ribs. The baby sure is taking up a lot of room in there. The radiologist said everything looked normal. So, I go back to the room after the ultrasound waiting for the nurse.

I was still hooked up to the monitors and I started having contractions again... this time they were painful. They were getting stronger and stronger and about 2-4 minutes apart. I started getting nervous and lots of thoughts were running through my head about if the baby did come early. They wouldn't let me eat anything in case I was in pre-term labor and I was starving. They did this test called an FFN test that predicts if you are in pre term labor and it came back negative, which was good. She also checked my cervix and I wasn't dilated at all, more good news. But those contractions hurt!! Now I know what to look forward to.

So, they never did have an answer to the pain in my side or shoulder and they didn't know why I was having contractions. I felt lost not knowing what was going on. They gave me a shot of Morphine and Phenagan to help the pain and stop the contractions. After resting another hour at the hospital they sent me home since the contractions were getting further and further apart.

It hurts so bad to move around, my back KILLS and I'm still getting contractions, but they're not nearly as painful and they're not nearly as frequent. I also started a fever last night and called the on-call physician to see if we should come back in. He said if the contractions get worse to come in. They didn't so I went to bed. I was up A LOT and crying 1/2 of the time, lol. I'm such a baby. My back just killed! I tried icing my back with a bag of ice and woke up about an hour later to water all over and the bag leaking, haha. This morning I'm feeling better, but not great. I'm still in pain, I just hope the baby decides to keep cooking and this doesn't happen again until I'm due.

10 comments:

Henry Family said...

Hey cuz... I have had these types of nights with all 5 of my kids. Don't feel alone. I always think I am going to go into labor before I'm supposed to, but I never do. It kind of turns into a tease as it gets closer to the due date! Everyone is different, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. I wish I were there so I could rub your prego belly :)hehe I love you ♥ (my blog is
marina-snakesnsnails.blogspot.com if you wanna check it out)

Mandy Coffey said...

This happened to me at 25 weeks. Same thing too they didn't know why i was in pain or why i was starting contractions. I feel for you! Here is where i start praying you don't have 33-40 weeks like i did. Starting at 33 weeks the contractions got more and more intense and i swear i was at labor and delivery once if not twice a week. I had "restricted" activity since 33 weeks and bed rest the last 3 weeks. Hang in there Tiff! I can't say this is "normal" pregnancy but it just like my pregnancy! ha ha.

Mandy Coffey said...

ps- stay off your feet, and even if they aren't swollen elevate them... it helped me.

Unknown said...

Oh Tiff! I'll keep you in my prayers! Hopefully it was a one time thing.

Melissa said...

How scary! I hope the little guy stays put for a while longer! Take it easy and make your hubby do most of the work :D

BL said...

oh no! thats never fun. I cant wait to see pics of the little one, but i hope you stay healthy- and he stays in there as long as possible:)

The McGraths said...

Dang that's scary Tiff! I'm glad all is well and that the baby is still healthy. I hope the baby keeps cooking too and that you both are healthy. Keep us posted ;)

Walker Family said...

Aww! that sounds like it would have been pretty scary!!! glad you and baby are doing better now... We will be keeping you guys in our prayers!!

S said...

Yikes! Sorry you are having a rough time. Hope you feel better soon!

Selma said...

Hope you feel better! I just had my fist experience wit the L&D today as well! Not so much fun :)