Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Lucky 100!

This is my 100th post!

Well, a lot has been going on and I feel like I've been really busy, but honestly, I haven't done that much. :) Of course it was Thanksgiving and we had such an AMAZING time with my family. My parents came to town which is always so fun! We ate some incredible food, played lots of games and watched some football. We also did some black Friday shopping! All in all, it was a great weekend and went by too quickly.

Some of the purchases this weekend include:
A sandwich maker ($3, thank you dad and mom for getting this while you were up at 4am)
A small crock pot ($3, same as above)
A griddle ($12, which I will probably take back, but couldn't pass up the deal!)
A blender ($14, kind of like a magic bullet blender)

Lots of kitchen supplies, but I love all of my new gadgets!

Also, this month, Josh was gone for almost a week in NY for a work conference, but also enjoyed hanging out with his friends, his family and going to a Rangers/Nationals hockey game. I wish SOOO bad that I could have gone, but of course, I had to work, blah blah blah.

Now onto the personal, yet important stuff :) I'm surprised I have shared so much, but I realized this is my outlet to talk about this and it's hard to hold it in and not share. So here is the latest.

I'm done with artifical insemination. Tried it four times and was unsuccessful each time. I was hopeful, but it's just still not our time. The next step? In vitro fertilization (IVF). Let me just tell you, I am SO excited... I feel really, really good about this and feel like we have a great chance.

IVF is much more invasive and a lot more doctor appointments and shots, but I feel this will be worth it. If you don't know the gist of it, pretty much they give me medicine to produce "follicles" (which hold eggs), they go in, retrieve the eggs, fertilize them in a lab with some swimmers, then transfer them back in. It has the best success rates of different procedures but again, much more goes into it.

I thought 6 or 7 shots was bad... try a shot every day for about 3 weeks before the retrieval/transfer process, plus the week just before, I will be giving myself shots 3 times per day for a week. If I am lucky enough to get pregnant (keep my fingers crossed!)I'll be even luckier to continue giving myself a shot in the hip everyday for about 10 weeks, which the doctor said "hurts like hell."

Even through all of this, I'm still excited to get started! Can you believe it? I used to be deathly afraid of needles, but not as much anymore... I'll do whatever I have to.

This next process will start sometime in January or February. I have a lot of testing to do this month before we can get started. Which means, more needles (blood tests). They also will start me back on birth control pills, which sounds like we're taking a step back, lol, but they do it so that they have complete control of the entire process.

Lastly, I'm happy it's December and that Christmas and my birthday and my anniversary are coming up :) Lots to celebrate!

9 comments:

Auna Leigh said...

I love that you blog your personal stuff! I love it and am totally stoked for you! Good luck! You are so optimistic and positive! Keep it going! Love you!

AdamAndMelaine said...

Wow, Tiffany, seriously, you are the most amazing woman to me. You are so incredibly brave. What incredible passion you have to be a mother! It puts us mothers to shame who take this grand blessing for granted. I love you! I pray this will be a success for you!

Scott+Kimber+Ruby=Scimby said...

YAY! Im so excited for you to start IVF!! My baby really needs to have a best friend! We'll be keeping our fingers crossed for some great success....who knows, maybe you'll get twins!!!!

Veronica said...

ok i officially suck at black friday shopping if those are the deals you got! why didn't we team up? and i can't wait to hear any good news...you are my favorite!

mckenna said...

Yay for starting the IVF process! I can't imagine all you've gone through. Such a crazy journey. Crossing my fingers for you!!

Selma said...

Hi Tiffany - even though you don't know me personally, I hope you don't mind me intruding your blog like this. I do know you from our IVF forum (I'm screename "skyhope") that we both go to regulary. I've been on the forum ever since I started fertility treatments which is about 8 months ago now. You did post your blog link once (can't remeber if it was in an IUI or IVF forum) - it was reagrding your experiences with the LAP so I just kept following you ever since :) Anyway I just wanted to say good luck with IVF and I hope we both get the result we are looking for! I also just recently decided to "go public" with our struggles on our blog and you are welcome to check it out.

BL said...

Tiff- good luck! what a brave thing for you to be doing, Iknow it will pay off!

JEREMY AND SARAHLYNN said...

WOW, that sounds really intense. I had no idea that you had to get that many shots for IVF. You're so amazing, Tiffany! GOOD LUCK!!

And your house looks really cute with all the xmas decor.

Eileen said...

I hope that this IVF cycle will be IT for you and you will be holding a baby in your arms next fall. Good luck! You'll get used to the shots don't worry ;-).