Thursday, July 31, 2008

Surgery Update

Well, I was debating about writing this, because I don't want people to feel like I'm trying to get sympathy, but I'm home and I'm really bored and thought I would share what's been going on this last week. So, I've been seeing my doctor lately and I was told I needed to go in to have surgery because he thought I had this "disease" called endometriosis. I put it in quotes, because it's technically a disease, but it makes it sound much worse than it actually is. Anyways, the only way to diagnosis that I have it, is to do a surgery and go in and see if that's the problem. I'll spare you the details of what it actually is (google search it if you're curious), but I went in on Tuesday for what's called a laparoscopy. They found out, that that was the problem and that I actually do have endometriosis. What they did was made 3 incisions in my abdomen and go in and take out what was causing the problem. The sucky thing about this, is once they do this surgery, doesn't mean it's gone forever... it can still come back.

So the surgery went well and I was able to go home that same day. It was weird because I never had anesthesia before so I was totally out of it at first. I was throwing up afterwards, which really hurt because I had to use my stomach muscles to do that, and that's exactly where my surgery was. I've been home from the surgery since Tuesday, but I still feel pretty crappy. My doctor said I should have been able to go back to work today, but I felt pretty bad yesterday and so took another day off work. It's really hard to sit up and bend over, because you don't realize how often you use your stomach muscles, until you can't.

Another weird thing, is during the surgery they fill up my abdomen with carbon dioxide so they can work inside there, but when the surgery is over they can't always get all the gas out, so every time I stand up, the gas goes up to my shoulders and causes this really sharp pain in my shoulders and chest. Supposedly it'll go away, but it still hurts!

But I can't tell you how lucky I am to have such an amazing husband. Josh stayed home all day on Tuesday with me, waited for me in the hospital, was there when I got out and seriously pampered me all day. I can't tell you how much that meant to me. He is just the best husband in the world! I felt so comfortable knowing he was there to help me with anything I needed. Josh and my brother also gave me a blessing and it was amazing, because I truly felt better as soon as it was over. I'm lucky to have the priesthood in my home.

I'll keep you updated, but that's all for now.

11 comments:

mckenna said...

I have another friend who just went through the same thing and it didn't sound like much fun. I hope you feel better and soon!! What a good husband to take care of you!!

Annie and Berkeley said...

You are a trooper! Sorry to hear what you have had to deal with the last couple weeks. I hope you get to feeling better soon.

Walker Family said...

Oh im so sorry to hear that! I totally know how you feel, they did the same type of surgery on me when i had to have my gallbladder removed, and filled me up with air :) So i had the exact same pains in my shoulder! I really hope that you get feeling better!!!

Mandy Coffey said...

TIff i totally know what you mean! Well kind of. On my mission when i had my gall bladder out, they did it through 3 holes in my abdomin and filled me up with gas and for WEEKS after i was still hurting from the gas. I looked pregnant. A lot of people thought us MORMONS had pregnant Sister Missionaries! (not kidding! you wouldn't believe the comments i got). And then over like a 2 day span it was all gone and everyone asked if i HAD the baby. Sheesh. It is PAINFUL though! I hear ya! I hope you get well soon. I'll keep ya in my prayers! Love ya!

Scott+Kimber+Ruby=Scimby said...

dude, Im such a bad bff, I totally meant to call you on tuesday, but then I dont know what happened. Its a good thing I guess, that way I didnt interrupt your barfing. Lets hope all the agony is worth it! Love you and hope you feel better soon!

Becca said...

Tiff... glad it went well but sorry it's been longer to bounce back then you ad planned!No fun! I wish it would have been easier for me to come and take care of you but me plus two little ones is more harm then good!!!

Connie Schoo said...

Tiffany and Josh--

I am so sorry to hear about your recent procedure...I have had endometriosis but did not get it until my mid 30s. I hope you are getting much needed rest. We love you and are keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.

Love from Aunt Connie

Steph @ somewhatsimple said...

i didnt even know you had this surgery til rob was talking with your mom a few days after it all went down! i need to call you! I hope you are feeling better now! keep us posted and you are in our prayers!

'Cus and Britt said...

feel better Tiff! I'm sad but really happy that you got that taken care of.. onto the next chapter in your life! Woo Hoo!

Megan said...

I'm so glad everything went well! And that you have Josh there to take care of you! Hope your feeling back to yourself now!

aubri said...

So sorry! I hope you feel better! love you