Monday, April 21, 2008

For those of you who like Cafe Rio...

I found the best recipes! So a good friend of mine was so kind to give me her recipe for the Cafe Rio Pork and let me just tell you, it tastes pretty darn good! Of course it's not exact, but it's pretty darn close and way too easy not to try it yourself! We made this for dinner tonight and had some friends over and it was a hit! So here is the pork recipe:

Cafe Rio Pork

5-6 lb Pork Roast (loin) (Mine was only about 2lbs)
1 tbs cumin
1 c brown sugar
12 oz bottle La Victoria (red) Taco Sauce
20 oz bottle coke

Cook roast on low for 12 hrs in crock pot with water added halfway up the pork. After 12 hours, drain water and add remaining ingredients. Continue cooking for four hours. Shred meat and cook for two more hours.

I actually didn't have cumin, so I didn't use it, and I thought it still tasted great. I actually started the pork last night before I went to bed and let it cook while we were asleep and then in the morning Josh added the rest of the ingredients and we actually let it cook even longer because we didn't eat it until about 7pm...so you can cook it pretty long. Those are just guidelines. Also, if you want to make it a little spicy (which we did) use the medium La Victoria sauce instead of the mild. I think I might try mild next time though...I'm not a very spicy eater.

Now, my favorite thing at Cafe Rio is the salad, so I had to make the dressing as well! This also turned out great! Here is the recipe for that:

Cafe Rio Salad Dressing

1 buttermilk ranch dressing packet (MAKE AS PER RECIPE...I forgot to do this at first, haha)
2 tomatillos (tomato like vegetable with a husk around them)
½ bunch of cilantro (I only used 1/4 bunch and it was plenty, so add a little at first, but you can always add more)
1 clove garlic
Juice of 1 lime
1 jalapeƱo (Use the seeds too if you like it spicy. I actually just got a jar of jalapenos and put a tiny bit in)

Use a food processor/blender to blend all the ingredients well. Refrigerate.


I hope you enjoy.... because we sure did and we have plenty of leftovers!

2 comments:

Becca said...

yummmmmmm!!Thank tippers! any you type like a machine by the way!

Christina and Ryan said...

Hey, we have a recipe from Ryan's friend's mom for the pork. It has brown sugar, coke and salsa but we found it a little sweeter than Cafe Rio. Ryan's mom gave us a recipe that added sauteed onions. I'll have to see what the cumin does :)

PS I only got 95 wpm. You're amazing.